In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state
meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states
identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially
similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License.
This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the
regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.
Other requirements if your state meets the substantially similarly definition:
- 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
- An electronic copy of a valid concealed carry license from my home state.
- Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
- A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
- An Illinois State Police User ID and password
- A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
- Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
- A notarized affidavit documenting the applicant’s eligibility under both state and federal laws, the understanding of the laws pertaining to possession and transport of firearms, acknowledgment the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police and the Illinois courts and that the applicant meets the mental health standards in Illinois to obtain a firearm.
- $300.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.